The Board will support the work of Youth Services of Kittitas County and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Youth Services of Kittitas County chief executive officer (CEO), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the CEO as s/he develops and implement Youth Services of Kittitas County strategic plan.
- Review outcomes and metrics created by Youth Services of Kittitas County for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings.
- Approve Youth Services of Kittitas County annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Contribute to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO.
- Assist the CEO and Board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
- Partner with the CEO and other Board members to ensure that Board resolutions are carried out.
- Serve on identified standing committees and/or temporary task forces and take on special assignments as needed. Recruit other qualified and committed volunteers to service on standing committees.
- Represent Youth Services of Kittitas County to stakeholders; act as an ambassador for the organization.
- Ensure Youth Services of Kittitas County commitment to a diverse Board and staff that reflects the communities Youth Services of Kittitas County serves.
Youth Services of Kittitas County Board Members will consider Youth Services of Kittitas County a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Youth Services of Kittitas County can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Youth Services of Kittitas County expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity. In addition, each board member will be responsible for following and participating in our best practice monthly fundraising plan.
Youth Services of Kittitas County Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full Board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Youth Services of Kittitas County mission and who has a track record of Board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
- A commitment to and understanding of Youth Services of Kittitas County beneficiaries, preferably based on experience.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Youth Services of Kittitas County beneficiaries.
- Specific knowledge and/or experience relevant to the work of at least one standing committee and people skills to ensure committee work is effective.
Service on Youth Services of Kittitas County Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
A complete application for open Board of Director position includes a cover letter explaining how your experience prepares you to perform the duties of the position and why you are committed to engaging with the Youth Services of Kittitas County working board, a resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Email your application to email@example.com or drop it by the Youth Services Office, 213 W. 3rd Avenue in Ellensburg. Review of applications will begin on July 15th 2019. To explore details about the position or ask questions, contact Executive Director, Crystal Church, firstname.lastname@example.org, 509-962-2737.